Computer Woes

Woes from advanced computer use - programming, open-source-undocumentatia, it-support-for-friends-and-family etc.

2005-02-07

How my Latitude got its groove back

When a colleague had troubles with the CPU speed on his Dell Latitude I checked mine as well - apallingly enough it said my computer was running at 599 MHz instead of its maximum 1,4 GHz. After a bit of googling we found that Speedstep was the culprit.

After a few wise cracks about Speedstep being Intel's upgrade persuasion program I downloaded a fix I found at http://www.bay-wolf.com/speedstep.htm (along with a chipset driver upgrade from dell.com) and set the power scheme to "always on". Now amazingly it's running at 1,4 GHz. Don't know if it's the placebo effect but it feels daaaaaaamn fast.
---------------------------------------------------------------
#wapmarks - WAP links and personal phone startpage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home