Computer Woes

Woes from advanced computer use - programming, open-source-undocumentatia, it-support-for-friends-and-family etc.

2005-02-19

FileZilla SFTP2 is slow

It's always a bit sad when you find a program you like to be inept. The turn has come to FileZilla which I've liked and used for a time (se old post about that). I've had real speed problems between my Windows desktop computer and the Debian box in my wardrobe. Speeds above 160 KBps have been impossible, which is quite ridiculous on a LAN.

After thinking a bit about it, it dawned on me I've only ever tried SFTP2 transfers using FileZilla on the Windows computer. A quick http speed transfer test gave me 3.2 MBps. There's a note deep in the FileZilla settings that acknowledges the SFTP2 speed problem but blames it on a Putty bug (FZ uses Putty code for SFTP2). The only thing is - the bug has been solved in Putty since September 2003.

Now I've gone back to another old open source workhorse - WinSCP. It gives me good transfer speeds on SFTP2 and SCP (not like HTTP of course, but that's not really a fair comparison). My major objection to WinSCP though is that it doesn't handle regular FTP. I'm hoping that FileZilla will shape up sometime in the near future...
---------------------------------------------------------------
#wapmarks - WAP links and personal phone startpage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home